Shkuratov Yuriy Grigorievich
head of Astronomy and Space Informatics Department;
Phone: +38 (057) 707-54-70;
Graduated from Kharkov A.M. Gorky State University with specialty “Physics” in 1975, worked as junior researcher at Astronomical Observatory of Kharkov State University from 1975, from 1978 as senior researcher, from 1993 as the head of a Department of the Observatory, from 2002 as a professor at the Astronomy Department of the School of Physics, from 2004 as the director of Astronomical Institute of Kharkiv V. N. Karazin National University, and from 2012 as head of Astronomy Department. He was elected corresponding member of NAS Ukraine in 2012.
He defended PhD thesis «Optical properties of the Moon: Observations and interpretation» in 1980. Then in 1993 he defended Doctor-of-science Thesis «Scattering of unpolarized light by uneven surfaces». Member of the International Astronomical Union from 1999. The Union has named the asteroid 12234 as Shkuratov in 2008. He has over 600 scientific publications. He is a Laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine (1986) and Prizes of Ukrainian (1997) and Russian (2000) Academies of Sciences.
Member of Editorial Board of scientific journals «Kinematic and Physics of Celestial bodies», «Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer», and «Space Science and Technology».
Field of research – Physics of Solar System bodies, photometry and polarimetry of the Moon.
He lectures courses: «Optics of planetary surface» and «Methods and organization of scientific work».
Last scientific publications:
1. KaydashV., Shkuratov Y., Videen G. Dark halos and rays of young lunar craters: A new insight into interpretation. Icarus 2014. Vol. 231, p. 22-33.
2. Hines D.C., Videen G., Zubko E., Muinonen K., Shkuratov Y., Kaydash V.G., Knight M.M., Sitko M.L., Lisse C.M., Mutchler M., Hammer D., Yanamandra-Fisher P.A. Hubble space telescope pre-perihelion ACS/WFC imaging polarimetry of comet ISON (C/2012 S1) at 3.81 AU. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 2014. Vol. 780, L32, 5 p.
3. Kaydash V.G., Shkuratov Y.G. Structure perturbations of the lunar surface near the landing site of "Lunokhod-1". Solar System Res. 2014. 48(3), p. 167-175.
4. Shkuratov Y., Opanasenko N., Korokhin V., Videen G. The Moon. In: Polarimetry of Stars and Planetary Systems / Eds.: L. Kolokolova, J. Hough, and A.-C. Levasseur-Regourd. Cambridge University Press. United Kingdom 2015. 303-319.
5. Kaydash V., Shkuratov Y., Wolff M., Videen G. Terrestrial planets. In: Polarimetry of Stars and Planetary Systems / Eds.: L. Kolokolova, J. Hough, and A.-C. Levasseur-Regourd. Cambridge University Press. United Kingdom 2015. 289-302.
6. Levasseur-Regourd A.C., Renard J.-B., Shkuratov Y., Hadamcik E. Laboratory studies. In: Polarimetry of Stars and Planetary Systems / Eds.: L. Kolokolova, J. Hough, and A.-C. Levasseur-Regourd. Cambridge University Press. United Kingdom 2015. 62-80.
7. Zubko E., Shkuratov Y., Videen G. Retrieval of dust-particle refractive index using the phenomenon of negative polarization. Journ. Quant. Spectrosc. Rad. Transfer 2015, 151, 38-42.
8. Zubko E., Shkuratov Y., Videen G. Effect of morphology on light scattering by agglomerates. Journ. Quant. Spectrosc. Rad. Transfer 2015, 150, 42–54.
9. Zubko E., Videen G., Shkuratov Y., Hines D. C., Kaydash V., Muinonen K., Knight M. M., Sitko M. L., Lisse C. M., Mutchler M., Wooden D. H., Li J.-Y., Kobayashi H. Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) coma composition at ~4 au from HST observations. Planetary and Space Science. 2015, V. 118, P. 138–163.
10. Videen G, Zubko E, Sun W, Shkuratov Y, Yuffa A. Mixing rules and morphology dependence of the scatterer. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer 2015, 150, 68–75.