Alexander (Oleksandr) Kazachkov
1994 Ph.D. in Solid State Physics, Institute for Low Temperature Physics and Engineering, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine
1988-1992 post-graduate studies, Institute for Low Temperature Phys&Eng, Kharkiv, Ukraine
1977-1983 M.S. in Physics, Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv, Ukraine
2005 Visiting Scholar, Mathematics and Science Teaching Institute, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO, USA (sabbatical year research visit)
1991-2000 Research Staff Fellow, Inst. for Low Temperature Phys&Eng, Kharkiv, Ukraine
1990-1991 Research Staff Engineer, Institute of Single Crystals, Kharkiv, Ukraine
1986-1990 Research Staff Engineer, Inst. for Low Temperature Phys&Eng, Kharkiv, Ukraine
1983-1986 Research Staff Engineer, Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute, Kharkiv, Ukraine
2017-present Director, Instructor, program of in-service training of high school Physics teachers, V.Karazin Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv, Ukraine
2011 Director, Instructor, program of in-service training of Physics teachers, National Polytechnic Institute, Mexico City, Mexico
2008-2009 Instructor, Principles of Engineering Design, Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth Summer Program, Baltimore, MD/Easton, PA
2000-present Director, Introductory Physics, V.Karazin Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv, Ukraine
2003-present Director, graduate courses of Modern Educational Technologies, Advanced Research Technologies, Modeling of Physical Processes, Modeling in Physics Education, Solid State Optics, Practical English for Efficient Communication of Research Scientists, KhNU
2001-present Advisor of BS and MS graduate diploma work, V.Karazin Kharkiv National University
2000-present Supervisor of university and high school students’ educational research (Ukraine, USA)
Current Research Fields:
Optics of low-dimensional solids, Physical didactics, Inquiry-based science education
Affiliations, Memberships and Awards:
Peer Reviewer, The Physics Teacher Magazine (2007-present)
Peer Reviewer, European Journal of Physics (2017-present)
Critical reviewer for the Ministry of Education of Czech Republic (2004)
Judge of Colorado-Wyoming Junior Academy of Science Finals, USA (2005)
Awards for Excellence in Advising Students Research from Kharkiv National University
Mentored research projects are regularly awarded at students’ competitions and conferences
Ukrainian Physical Society – member (1993-present)
Coordinator of the Students Scientific Society, KhNU (2004–present)
Director of the Centre of Students’ Educational Research, KhNU (2001-present)
Participation in the Funded Research Projects:
Erasmus+ Mobility – Staff training grant, 2016
EXPERT Project personal grant, Research and Education at UPJS – Heading towards Excellent European Universities, ITMS project code: 26110230056, supported by the Operational Program Education funded by the European Social Fund (ESF), 2012-2014
TEMPUS-TACIS Individual Mobility Grant, 2006
NSF-funded project Center for Learning and Teaching in the West, participant, 2005
NATO Collaborative Linkage Grant, participant, 2003-2005
Ministry of Education&Science of Ukraine research grant, participant, 2001–2004
The Sci&Tech Center in Ukraine 3-year research project, granted by EU, participant, 2001–2004
International Science Foundation long-term research project, participant, 1995-1996
The American Physical Society research grant, participant, 1993
International Science Foundation personal research grant, 1993
Selected research publications:
1. Eremenko V.V., Karachevtsev V.A., Kazachkov A.R., Shapiro V.V., Slavin V.V. Unusual Behaviour of the Luminescence in Quasi-One-Dimensional Antiferromagnetic Crystal CsMnCl3*2H2O at Low Temperature. Solid State Communs. v. 87, N 11, p.1027-1029 (1993)
2. Eremenko V.V., Karachevtsev V.A., Kazachkov A.R., Shapiro V.V., Slavin V.V. Excitons Migration in Quasi-One-Dimensional Antiferromagnet CsMnCl3*2H2O. Phys. Rev. v. 49B, N 5, p. 11799-11807 (1994)
3. Eremenko V.V., Kazachkov A.R., Karachevtsev V.A., Kachur I.S., Piryatinskaya V.G., Slavin V.V., Syshchenko A.A., Shapiro V.V. Optical Excitation in Quasi-One-Dimensional Antiferromagnet (CsMnCl3*2H2O). Ukrainian Journal of Physics, v. 43 N 11, p.1393-1401 (1998)
4. V.Starodub, A.Kravchenko, V.Bondarenko, A.Kazachkov. The Organic Metals Based on a New Hydrogen-Free Fulvalene – C6S12. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. v. 427, pp. 263/-270/ (2005).
5. A.Kazachkov, D.Kryuchkov, C.Willis, J.C.Moore. An Atmospheric Pressure Ping-Pong ‘Ballometer’. The Physics Teacher, 44, pp.492-495 (Nov. 2006).
6. Z.Jeskova, A.Kazachkov. Behaviour of Bulbs in Series Monitored by Computer. School Science Review, June 2008, 29 (329), pp.14-18.
7. A. Kazachkov Buoyancy head over heels: Archimedes Law revis(it)ed. Proceedings of Heureka Workshops, Nachod, Czech Republic, October 2010, Prometeus, Prague, p.211-235, 2010.
8. A. Kazachkov, A. Salinas and R.W.D. Nickalls. Measuring human perception and reaction time with rulers and Pulfrich pendulum. Lat. Am. J. Phys. Educ. 6, Suppl. I, p.116-121, August 2012.
9. A. Kazachkov, A. Salinas and V. Kostyukov, Measuring g: an Inexhaustible Source of Instruction and Creativity, Lat. Am. J. Phys. Educ. 6, Suppl. I, p.168-174, August 2012.
10. D.Kazachkova, A.Kazachkov, M.Kires. Balancing with Archimedes and Roberval on a classboard. Book of Proceedings, Physics Teachers' Inventions Fair 17, ISBN 978-80-873-43-13-5, Charles University, Prague, p.44-48, 2012.
11. A.Kazachkov, V.A.Lykah, V.M.Rizak, E.S.Syrkin. Beauty and symmetry hidden in the projectile trajectories: parabolas, peaks, and foci. MIF (Matematika, Informatika, Fyzika), v. 38, p.41-44, 2012.
12. A.Kazachkov. Creative Hands-On Activities with Water, Paper and Wire. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Hands-on Science. Costa MF, Dorrio BV, Kires M (Eds.), 1-5 July P.J.Safarik University, Kosice, Slovakia. 2013, p.281-284, 2013.
13. A.Kazachkov, M.Kires. Hands-on Experiments to Develop Students' Creativity and Critical Thinking. Hands-on Science. Science Education with and for Society.Costa MF, Pombo P, Dorrio BV. Hands-on Science Network, p.29-32, 2014.
14. E. Bormashenko, G. Whyman, Ye. Bormashenko, R. Grynyov, E. Shulzinger, A.Kazachkov. Sagging ropes demonstrate transversality conditions of variational problems. American Journal of Physics, Vol. 83, No. 12, p.998-1002, December 2015.
15. E. Bormashenko, A.Kazachkov. Geometric optics and the “hairy ball theorem”. Results in Physics, V. 6, p.76-77 (2016)
16. A.Kazachkov, V.Multanen, V.Danchuk, M.Frenkel, E. Bormashenko. Friction, Free axes of rotation and entropy. Entropy19(3) 123, 2017.
17. A. Kazachkov Going further with Martin Gardner. Proceedings of Heureka Workshops, Nachod, Czech Republic, September 2016, Matfyzpress, Praha, p. 59-67, 2017.
18. E. Bormashenko, A.Kazachkov. Rotating and rolling rigid bodies and the “hairy ball” theorem. American Journal of Physics, Vol. 85, No. 6, p. 447-453, June 2017.
19. A.Kazachkov, M.Kires. A stack of cards rebuilt with calculus. Physics Education 52(4), 045019, 2017.
Invited seminars and lectures on Inquiry-Based Phys&Math Education:
Department of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014
Ariel University, 2003, 2013, 2015, 2016
Davidson Institute of Science Education, Weizmann Institute of Science, 2003
National Polytechnic Institute, Mexico City, 2011
Amstel Institute, University of Amsterdam, 2009
Department of Chemistry, University of Coimbra, 2014
Department of Physics, M.Lomonosov Moscow State University, 2003
Department of Science, Safarik University, Kosice, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Department of Physics and Mathematics, Kharkiv National University of Education, 2004, 2007
Department of Physics, Uzhgorod National University, 2004, 2005, 2012
Department of Science, Poltava National Pedagogical University, 2015
Department of Physics and Mathematics, K.Ushynsky South-Ukrainian National Pedagogical University, Odessa, 2016
Department of Arts and Sciences, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO, 2005
Department of Mathematics, University of California at San Diego, 2007
Department of Physics and Astronomy, and The Physics Teacher Magazine staff, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, 2007
Department of Physics, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, 2008
Department of Education, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2008
Department of Mathematics, St. John’s University, New York, NY, 2008
Invited reports at the major International Conferences on Science Education and Informational Computer Technologies in Education: 2004-2017.